Given the work involved in setting up a Code Club and or Coder Dojo. I am working to also have a plan B in case we can't run as a Physical Event.
With privacy and safeguarding in mind. I am looking to use Big Blue Button. This is a video / teaching platform. It is set up and designed by teachers for teachers. One of the biggest pluses for this is that their biggest customer is the US Department of Defence.
I have put instructions here
But will explain more at code club. This is designed as a Plan B to take the group virtual if needed.
- Big Blue Button
- Open source software built Ottawa, now de facto standard online classrooms
- Defense Collaboration Services serving as guinea pig for MilCloud 2.0
- Linux Weekly News Article
Reasons NOT to use zoom
- Zoom to pilot ads fo free users
- Zoom to pay $85M for lying about encryption and sending data to Facebook and Google
- 3 Reasons Why Zoom is Inappropriate for School Use — In a Nutshell
GDPR The third countries which ensure an adequate level of protection are: Andorra, Argentina, Canada (only commercial organizations), Faroe Islands, Guernsey, Israel, Isle of Man, Jersey, New Zealand, Switzerland, Uruguay , Japan, the United Kingdom and South Korea. Data transfer to these countries is expressly permitted our Canadian server is under the auspices of OVH, both a commercial organization and one based in EU :)